Border crossing at Wild Horse Montana opens

Montana Living Wild Horse border crossing

WILD HORSE, Mont. — The port of Wild Horse, Montana, will begin operating on its summer hour schedule of 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., daily, on May 15. The summer hours will continue until Sept. 30. The winter schedule of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. will resume on Oct. 1.

The port of Wild Horse is located about 1½ hours south of Medicine Hat, Alberta, via Alberta 41, and 45 minutes north of Havre, Montana, via Montana Highway 232.


The Wild Horse POE
The Wild Horse, Montana, Port of Entry
will resume summer hours May 15.


CBP also offers travelers tips to help expedite processing at the Wild Horse port:

  • Have required proof of citizenship documents ready upon arrival at the primary inspection booth. You may present a valid passport, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license, a trusted traveler card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST/EXPRES), a lawful permanent resident card, or Native American U.S. and Canadian citizen current tribal documents as your Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document.
  • Traveling with minor children without both parents? A notarized travel permission letter should accompany minors when both parents are not present.
  • Declare all purchases to the CBP officer, including fruits, vegetables, live animals and meat products. Keep your receipts as proof of where items were purchased. Failure to declare may result in penalties (fines) of $300 or more.
  • Most U.S. or Canadian grown fruits and vegetables may enter the United States from Canada, except citrus, tomatoes, peppers and home-grown potatoes, which are prohibited. Each vehicle may enter with up to 50 pounds of Canadian-origin beef, pork, or chicken for personal consumption only. Meats, fruits, or vegetables purchased in the United States prior to entering Canada are not restricted (keep your receipts and leave the labels affixed).
  • Do not bring firewood. All firewood is prohibited unless accompanied by a heat treatment certificate. Travelers with prohibited firewood will be returned to Canada to dispose of firewood. Don’t move firewood! Buy it where you burn it!
  • Traveling with pets? Dogs at least three months old need signed and dated certificates from a veterinarian verifying they have been vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days before entering the United States.
  • Any weapons or ammunition must be declared when leaving or entering the United States.
  • You must also declare any currency in excess of $10,000 when leaving or entering the United States.
  • Never attempt to cross the border outside of the established hours of operation.
  • For additional questions or clarification on the information above, please visit the Know Before You Go page in the Travel section at
  • For information on entering Canada, please visit the Travel Tips Section on or call 800-461-9999.

Wild Horse is a permit port, which means that a cargo permit is required to import commercial merchandise into the United States through this port. Permits must be approved in advance of cargo arrival. The CBP Area Port of Great Falls, which processes permit applications, has implemented a streamlined process to facilitate permit approvals. Contact the Supervisory Entry Officer at 406-453-7631 for more information.

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published